Saturday, October 06, 2007

FEMA

I attended a Train the Trainer Training today put on by Ken Salitsky, who is our FEMA VAL for Region 4. I met him for the first time in New Orleans at a National VOAD meeting, and was very impressed. He continues to impress me, unlike most Government employees, he truly acts from his heart and cares about people, and is in the business of making life better for people. It was cool because 12 counties from Florida had representatives there. This training is designed to demystify the process of getting help from various Government sources after a disaster.

The training was extremely helpful, but more than that, it struck a cord. You know the social worker in me can not be quiet for long. Everyone, loves to blame FEMA and the Government when their life goes bad, but it often goes bad for decisions made by those that have nothing to do with the Government. I have an urge to help others all the time and love to reach my hand out to help, it is what I believe I was called to do, however, I expect them to reach back. I will work my but off to help someone, but I expect them to do all they are able to help themselves. The Government does not owe us crap. We are supposed to take care of ourselves, and hopefully, if we are good citizens, pay our taxes and help those in need when we can, then we need help, help will be provided. It is a very basic concept, but seems foreign to many.

FEMA takes a lot of heat, and Heaven knows they have angered me on occasion, but ultimately, our country was founded on the concept that we could pull ourselves up by our boot straps and help ourselves, when someone is truly unable, others that have and can should step in. I say lets thank FEMA for what they do, being thank full we are not on our own, and if you want them to help more, join a church, their mission is to help you!

In any case as a CREW and United Way Of Lee Hendry and Glades employee I am qualified to train volunteers and others in helping disaster victims fill out the forms necessary for them to receive Government Assistance.

No comments: